Sunday, July 26, 2015

Living No Lye Tour: NYC

All About Natural Hair
Living No Lye Tour: NYC
Yesterday, I had the opportunity to attend the Living No Lye Tour NYC. The event was absolutely amazing. Essence Magazine was there, along with a lot of well known bloggers and YouTubbers. In being a naturalista for over six years now, I never really knew my hair type. I had tested out different products as some natural books had stated I should do. I expected I was a 4 C based on information I read and comparing my hair to the information on different websites. What I did know was that my hair tended to like some moisturizers, it dried very quickly, and it worked well with some products compared to others. I also knew that Co-washing was definitely for me, especially in the warmer months. 

Sister Scientist 
At the event, Audrey Davis-Sivasothy briefly discussed people's hair porosity being either low, high or in the middle. More details about this was presented by Sister Scientist who gave further details. She even showed a simple experiment to determine your hair porosity, which was to soak a piece of your hair in water for about two to four minutes. In some of the characteristics she stated about low porosity hair, I suspected this was my hair type. I tried this experiment at home and found out that I did have low porosity hair. Sister Scientist also discussed finding out how dense your hair was by comparing it to a piece of thread. If your hair is the same thickness of the thread, then you have medium or normal size; however if it is thicker, then you have very thick hair.

Mo Knows Hair

MoKnowsHair did her thang when it came to showing the audience a great style they can do on their hair. She talked about three strand twists, which can be a little difficult to do at first, but she seemed to know all the ins and outs about it. I could definitely relate to Mo in being a Midwest gal who had recently moved to a big city (New Jersey). I laughed as she discussed garbage disposals in Midwest because I too was accustomed to them. 

 Maria Antoinette slayed the hair game with her natural clip on hairpieces. She took a very ordinary hair style and turned it into perfection. Both of her subjects' hair looked beautiful. 

Goodies from the Event
In having V.I.P status, I was provided with a goodie bag full of things I will definitely use. I also made my rounds to various tables and picked up a couple of things. I will definitely use all my products, which consisted of a microfiber towel, The Science of Black Hair, dietary supplements, curl an styling cocktail, conditioner, earrings, and adjustable hair bands.


Great event. I will definitely make sure to attend future events. #LivingNoLyeTourNYC #NaturalHair






No comments:

Post a Comment