Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Hypothesis: Hair Growth is Linked to Exercise (Sweating)

Picture from Tumblr.com



While getting dressed for work this morning, I started thinking about hair growth and exercise. My thoughts were sparked by my recent actions to exercise more. In saying recent, I actually mean the past two months. In my attempt to live a healthier life, I noticed that my hair was growing. Not to say that my hair lacked an inability to grow. It just did not grow as fast as I hoped it would.

My hypothesis regarding hair growth and exercise was also formed using some of my past experiences. About seven years ago, I was really into eating health and exercising. I was a size 6 and my hair was longer than it had ever been. This information allowed me to hypothesize that hair growth is linked to exercise and sweating from exercising. 

Let's all sit back and think about working out. When we work out, our heart rate increases and so does our body temperature. Sweat is the body's defense in helping our body cool off from the rise in temperature. When we sweat, it has to come out somewhere, so it comes out of our pores. Pores are located all over our bodies, even in our heads. When we sweat, our pores open up and unclogs. So when we exercise, we sweat and our pores open up and push out salt and other things contained in our bodies. In the process of pushing these items out of our bodies, sweat also pushes out our hair follicles, which constitutes hair growth. 

If I was to conduct the experiment above, I would observe 6 people using the following recommendations:

  1. Observe 6 people from different racial groups (Two African-Americans, two Caucasians, and two Asians) 
  2. Subjects will participate in the big chop (BC) or go bald
  3. All subjects' hair will remain in its natural or naturally curly state (No chemical relaxers or perms)
  4. All subjects should work out at at least three times a week for 30 minutes each time 
  5. Observer will evaluate hair growth once a month
  6. Observer will evaluate hair for six months to one year
Who knows, this hypothesis may become a real experiment soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment